For faster navigation, this Iframe is preloading the Wikiwand page for Tandanor.


Tandanor S.A.C.I. y N.
Native name
Talleres Navales Dársena Norte
Company typeS.A.
Founded1879; 145 years ago (1879) as "Talleres Navales de Marina"
FounderNicolás Avellaneda
Area served
Key people
Miguel Angel Tudino, President [1]
OwnerGovernment of Argentina (90% share)
Company workers (10%)
ParentMinistry of Defense

Tandanor (an acronym for Talleres Navales Dársena Norte Naval Workshops North Darsena) is an Argentine shipyard located south of Buenos Aires port which together with Almirante Storni yard constitutes CINAR (Argentina's Industrial and Naval Compound) dedicated to shipbuilding and ship repair.[2] It currently harbors ships from around the globe due to its international renown. Its competitive advantage springs from its Syncrolift: a shiplifting platform that allows vessels to be dry docked and perform simultaneous repairs on its six slipways. In April 2019, Tandanor signed a cooperation agreement with City Bank.[3]


The company was established as "Talleres Navales de Marina" on November 10, 1879, during the presidency of Nicolás Avellaneda for the maintenance of Navy of Argentina ships. In 1922 it was renamed "Arsenal Naval Buenos Aires", then establishing as a "sociedad anónima" under its current denomination, with majority of state-capital injection in 1971.[4]

The recently formed S.A. was created in order to supply the merchant fleet and assist with maintenance tasks. It was directed by the Argentine Navy and the National Ports Administration together. The company added workships and two docks to its operational base.

Synchrolift transfer platform, October 2007

By 1943 Tandanor had more than 6,000 specialised workers. The increased demand of engineers resulted in the creation of the career of Naval Engineering, established by the University of Buenos Aires in 1950, as well as several training programs were also established. During those times the ARA Libertad frigate was constructed as a school ship of the Navy.

In 1973 the Navy sent personnel of TARENA (another shipyard) to work at Tandanor, also giving it new facilities. By those times the company had eight docks and needed to expand its business due to the increasing activity at the Atlantic Ocean. Five years later, Pearlson Engineering of Miami, US, was commissioned to build an elevator "Syncrolift". Tandanor was privatised in 1991 as part of the economy politics of then president Carlos Menem. The company was declared bankrupt in 1999.[5]

The company was nationalised through a decree by president Néstor Kirchner in March 2007, declaring null all the previous process.[6] As retribution to their efforts to carry out the company during last years, workers of Tandanor received 10% of the company, leaving the 90% as state-owned.[7]

See also


  1. ^ Organigrama, 20 Jul 2020
  2. ^ Argentina: Tandanor, the old dog teaching itself new tricks. The America's Intelligence Wire. 2 Nov. 2005.
  3. ^, Revista Defensa (2019-04-19). "El Banco Ciudad financiará a Tandanor al dejar de ser deficitario - Noticias Infodefensa América". (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-10-07.
  4. ^ Centro de Estudios para la Producción (2005). La industria naval en la Argentina. Buenos Aires, Ministry of Industry
  5. ^ La Argentina construirá cuatro patrulleros oceánicos para su armada on
  6. ^ Decreto PEN N° 315/2007.
  7. ^ Resolución N° 495/2008 del Ministerio de Defensa.

34°37′34″S 58°21′01″W / 34.62611°S 58.35028°W / -34.62611; -58.35028

{{bottomLinkPreText}} {{bottomLinkText}}
Listen to this article

This browser is not supported by Wikiwand :(
Wikiwand requires a browser with modern capabilities in order to provide you with the best reading experience.
Please download and use one of the following browsers:

This article was just edited, click to reload
This article has been deleted on Wikipedia (Why?)

Back to homepage

Please click Add in the dialog above
Please click Allow in the top-left corner,
then click Install Now in the dialog
Please click Open in the download dialog,
then click Install
Please click the "Downloads" icon in the Safari toolbar, open the first download in the list,
then click Install

Install Wikiwand

Install on Chrome Install on Firefox
Don't forget to rate us

Tell your friends about Wikiwand!

Gmail Facebook Twitter Link

Enjoying Wikiwand?

Tell your friends and spread the love:
Share on Gmail Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Buffer

Our magic isn't perfect

You can help our automatic cover photo selection by reporting an unsuitable photo.

This photo is visually disturbing This photo is not a good choice

Thank you for helping!

Your input will affect cover photo selection, along with input from other users.


Get ready for Wikiwand 2.0 🎉! the new version arrives on September 1st! Don't want to wait?